The aim of this project is to enhance educational attainment and increase school attendance of children (7-14yrs) who are attending schools in the London Borough of Camden. As a volunteer, you will focus on improving the literacy of young people.
We are looking for volunteers with a desire to gain teaching experience, as well as supporting students at an after-school club for a marginalised and underperforming group of young people.
What does the role involve?
- We are looking for enthusiastic people to assist in running a Home Work Club for a Homework Help Club for KS2 up to GCSE level.
- We are looking for volunteers who can work with young people on a one to one basis, assisting in improving their study skills.
- You will support them in homework queries as well as helping them to develop better study techniques.
Hours of commitment required:
- Every Tuesday from 4:00pm - 6:00pm.
Skills & experience:
- Experience of working with young people, ideally within a school setting, but this is not essential.
- Good communication and I.T skills.
- Patience and sympathetic attitude.
- Good team player.
- Works well in a busy environment.
- Good administrative skills.
- Reliability and the ability to make a regular commitment to sessions.
About the organisation:
The Bengali Workers’ Association is a long standing community organisation that was initially set up to support newly arrive first generation Bangladeshi’s in the London Borough of Camden in particular.
The organisation has now evolved into a key anchor in the community and now has a diverse client base from across the Regents Park Estate, focusing on a range of activities that supports young and old people alike as well as families through targeted programmes of activities.